International Thespian Excellence Awards THESPYS
Iowa Thespians follows the guidelines and rubrics set forth by the Educational Theatre Association. Read and prepare yourself for your events so you are ready and the judges can provide the best feedback that they can.
Here is a small summary of major changes for Individual Events. For more detailed language and guidelines check the tab above and the help for each IE.
1. All (non-musical) material must be done from work from one of the following publishers.
Samuel French, INC
The Musical Company
Any public domain play written before 1923.
2. Self published/public domain work are mostly unavailable for competition. A limited number of DM Larson plays are acceptable. Check the full rule guide for a complete list.
3. If you have a piece not in the approved list, approval must be sought from the EDTA office.
4. There has been further clarification on the use of props, including what is, or is not allowed for personal items, chairs, clothing, and hair.
5. Further rules on acceptable use of copyrighted logos in Technical IEs, primarily Publicity/Marketing.
6. Technical IEs can be presented electronically, but there are some guidelines.
7. Gender Identity, students are allowed to present pieces intended for the opposite gender, but should not change assigned pronouns or text to make it for their gender. Performance should be judged fairly based on criteria set forth in rubric.
8. Multi-troupe IEs will be allowed for the upcoming year. All entrants must be approved by the teachers from both schools. More details are in the rule changes.